The Fayetteville Free Library Board of Trustees is looking for an exceptional candidate to lead an exceptional library. Named a Library Journal Star Library for nine years, the FFL is well known as the home of the FabLab, the first library makerspace in the United States. Come and be part of an extraordinary team, providing innovative services to a community that places a high value on education and collaboration.
A member of the Onondaga County Public Library System, the FFL is located in the historic village of Fayetteville, in the suburbs of Syracuse, NY. The library serves a population of 10,314, has an operating budget of just under two million dollars, and a talented and engaged staff of 33 (15 full-time).
Syracuse is located in the geographic center of New York State and offers changing seasons and easy access to beautiful lakes, forests and mountains, making it a perfect spot for outdoor enthusiasts. Other assets include a reasonable cost of living and home ownership, excellent schools and cultural amenities. New York City, Toronto, Boston, Washington, D.C. and Philadelphia are only hours away.
Visit the library’s website www.fflib.org
Anticipated Start Date: March 1st, 2019
The Library Director is responsible for all library operations and reports to the Board of Trustees.
Examples of responsibilities:
* Develops and presents an annual budget and monitors and approves expenditures
* Oversees recruitment, hiring, supervision and development of library personnel
* Provides oversight for collection development and maintenance
* Develops short-term and long-range goals in keeping with the FFL’s mission and policies
* Provides the Library Board of Trustees with accurate information and context for decision making
* Seeks out and fosters collaborative partnerships
* Leads a dynamic team of highly-qualified professionals
* Develops policies for consideration and approval by the Library Board of Trustees
* Prepares grant proposals, administers grant funds, and submits all necessary paperwork and reports
* Prepares state, local, and other statistical or narrative reports as needed or required
* Supervises the maintenance of library property and recommends repairs, alterations and new construction
Essential skills and qualities:
* Demonstrates ethical leadership and creates an atmosphere of collaboration and open communication among staff members and in the community
* Develops and communicates a shared vision for the library
* Excellent written and oral communication skills
* A thorough knowledge of current trends, technologies, and best practices for public libraries
* The ability to build consensus, and to make difficult decisions when necessary
* A strong commitment to public service, inclusion, diversity, and community engagement
* Tact and courtesy in dealing with staff and public
* Master’s Degree in Library Science, Information Studies or other graduate library degree accredited by the American Library Association.
* Possess or be eligible at time of appointment for a New York State Public Librarian Certificate.
* Five or more years of satisfactory professional library experience with three or more years in an administrative or leadership role.
* Prior experience as a director preferred.
* Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
Starting salary range is $75,000 – $90,000, depending on experience and qualifications, with competitive benefits.
Email a cover letter and resume as Word or PDF attachments to: email@example.com
Closing date: January 11, 2019.