The University of Rochester River Campus Libraries (RCL) is seeking a creative, collaborative Vital Technologies Librarian to champion the user experience across library systems.
This role supports the University by assisting with the configuration, performance, and integrity of the University’s library services platform, web scale discovery interface, and other vital library systems. In close collaboration with technical and non-technical partners across RCL, this role identifies existing and emerging solutions that have potential for new and improved library services, and acts as a consultant and collaborator to frontline staff.
Key responsibilities of this role include supporting vital library systems and acting as key liaison between the Information Discovery Team and library staff and the broader University community who use library systems to support the University’s teaching, learning and research environment.
Search and Discovery Systems: 40%
• Support the Senior Library Systems Analyst in the administration and configuration of vital library systems, including the library services platform and web scale discovery service (currently Voyager/Summon; future Alma/Summon)
• Support library staff in the operation and optimization of vital systems and associated workflows, including training of and outreach to library staff
• Seek continuous improvement of systems and processes by gathering feedback and continued research into best practices to ensure optimum system usability (give user perspective)
• Collaborate with vendors and staff throughout the libraries to optimize systems and their associated workflows
Academic Applications Technologies: 30%
• Serve as application administrator for other library systems as assigned (e.g. LibGuides, LibraryH3lp, ILLiad, etc.)
• Work closely with various departments to upgrade, operate, troubleshoot, and optimize systems •Responsible for user experience across and between library systems, coordinating between users, staff, and vendors to ensure the best user experience possible
Consultation and Collaboration: 20%
• Keep up to date on exisiting library technologies and iteratively improve to ensure library staff are making the best use of those technologies
• Investigate emerging technologies to bring new opportunities to key stakeholders
• Serve as liaison between the Information Discovery Team and other library departments
• Advise and collaborate as an expert resource on user-facing projects
Miscellaneous Duties: 10%
• Maintain currency with library functions, resources, practices and procedures
• Participate in and contributes towards River Campus Libraries and University committees, meetings, and events
• Maintain professional collaborations with River Campus Libraries colleagues and campus constituencies
• Contribute to the profession through active participation in conferences, associations, research, writing, etc.
• Perform other duties as assigned
• Post-graduate degree in library and information science from an A.L.A.-accredited institution (or related degree that readies for this position)
• A strong, demonstrated service ethic and user-centered thinking
• Superior interpersonal skills and ability to form strong connections with faculty, students, and peers
• Outstanding verbal, written, and presentation skills
• Professional curiosity to explore the use of new technology
• Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
• Self-starter who is flexible, creative, and open to new challenges
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity
• 2-3 years experience in an academic environment
• Experience administering and configuring library systems or applications
• Experience managing a website
• Experience with a scripting language
• Experience with Alma, ILLiad, LibGuides, Summon
The University and the Library The University of Rochester Libraries belongs to the Association of Research Libraries and has collections of more than three million volumes and more than 44,000 active serial titles. The River Campus Libraries, the largest of three library systems at the University of Rochester, is embarking upon a new strategic plan making this a very exciting time to join our organization and the University of Rochester. This provides a unique opportunity for incumbents to implement the strategies to achieve the Libraries vision of becoming a collaborative hub of innovation in support of the Schools we support. For more information on the University and the Libraries, please consult our website: www.library.rochester.edu.
The University of Rochester is the sixth largest private employer in New York State and one of the nation’s leading private universities. University-wide student enrollment is 11,648 with 6546 undergraduate students and 4,678 full and part-time graduate students on the River Campus. Located in Rochester, New York, the University gives students exceptional opportunities for interdisciplinary study and close collaboration with faculty through its unique cluster-based curriculum.
Among the 100 largest metropolitan regions in the country, Greater Rochester has earned a reputation as one of the most livable communities in the nation. Located on the southern shore of Lake Ontario and gateway to the scenic Finger Lakes, Rochester offers its 1.1 million residents the amenities of a metropolitan area with a quality of life not available in many urban regions. Rochester is recognized as one of the most affordable housing markets in the country. Several high schools in the metropolitan area have been consistently listed by Newsweek as among the best in the country. The metropolitan area boasts 20,000 acres of parkland and offers year-round recreational opportunities for those who like to be outdoors in all seasons. In addition to hosting past PGA and Ryder cup tournaments and the LPGA tour, Rochester is also home to top-level minor league baseball, hockey, soccer, and lacrosse teams.
TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
Apply online. A letter of application, resume, and the names, addresses and phone numbers of three references must also be sent to: Kelley Kitrinos RCLHR@library.rochester.edu
Position will remain open until filled.
The University of Rochester is an Equal Opportunity Employer: EOE Minorities / Females / Protected/ Veterans / Disabled